Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Groundhog Day

February 2nd was Groundhog Day.  We learned Punxsutawney Phil comes out of his 
burrow to find his shadow.  If he sees his shadow,
we have six more weeks of winter weather.  If he does
not see his shadow, spring is on the way.

Read more on the National Geographic website to find
 out if he saw his shadow or not in 2010.

























4 comments:

  1. Even though plants and tree die when the cold winter arrives, cold weather is critical to their development the next year. For example, peach trees need to have hundres of hours when temperatures are below 40 degrees F (called chill hours) or they will not produce any peaches the following summer. Cold weather also helps control the insect population.

    Randy Walker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, 2nd graders...did he see his shadow? With all the rain and cloudy days here, I doubt it. Still, I can't wait for spring to come.

    Mrs. D. White

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your groundhog writing! I am sooooo PROUD of you guys and girls! You make me sooooo happy when you use your creative minds to write. Did you enjoy watching the groundhog news clip and seeing the real Phil? I hope so. I know I sure did. Keep up the great work and have a super weekend.

    Love,
    Mrs. Golden

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading everyone's sticker stories! I know that everyone worked very hard on their stories and you can tell. I can not wait to see more writing from everyone.


    Ms. Bishop

    ReplyDelete